Delayed trains and strikes: how to receive compensation
SNCF, Lyria and DB-SNCF tickets
As part of the Travel Guarantee (Garantie Voyage) SNCF offers compensation for delays over 30 minutes, when the delay is attributable to SNCF. The ‘Punctuality Guarantee’ applies to all SNCF trains, including international routes.
- If you have taken a domestic SNCF train, please check on the SNCF’s Punctuality Guarantee website, to see whether you are entitled to compensation: sncf.com/fr/engagements/droits-compensation (in French only).
You will need to enter your departure and arrival stations, travel dates and your train number (displayed in your confirmation email or on your tickets e.g. TGV 1234). As this website is only available in French, you can also find an automatically translated version here.
If you are entitled to compensation, you can fill in an online form by clicking here. This form is also only available in French. We recommend using an online translation tool, such as Google Translate.
- If you have taken an international SNCF, Lyria or DB-SNCF train, you can fill out SNCF’s compensation form directly by clicking here. Please scroll to the bottom of the page and enter your booking reference. This form is also only available in French. We recommend using an online translation tool, such as Google Translate. You can find a translated version of the page here.
- If SNCF has given you a Bon de Caisse paper voucher, you can use these with Trainline. Just send it to us by post with this form and we’ll credit a voucher in the same amount to your account.
Trainline - Elves
20 rue Saint-Georges
- If SNCF has given you a Bon Voyage e-voucher, you can use it on our website and apps by selecting "Use a discount code" before you conduct your search and by entering the code provided on the e-voucher. Note: Bon Voyage e-vouchers can only be applied to a single-passenger booking.
For any Thalys delay greater than or equal to 30, 60 or 120 minutes, you are offered compensation in Thalys vouchers (valid for 12 months) to the value of 20, 50 or 100% of the ticket price respectively.
If you are a Thalys TheCard or Thalys ThePass holder, you will automatically receive an email from Thalys informing you of any upcoming delays. You will also receive an email informing you whether you are entitled to compensation in the event of a delay. If you are, you can obtain your compensation voucher through the steps described in the email.
If you do not have a Thalys TheCard or a ThePass, you can fill out Thalys’ compensation form here.
Deutsche Bahn tickets
You can complete a Passengers’ rights form by clicking here, in case your train has been delayed or cancelled.
In case you experience a delay with any Frecciarossa, Frecciargento and Frecciabianca trains, from 30 to 59 minutes after the time scheduled, Trenitalia will issue a bonus equal to 25% of the ticket price that you can use for future purchases. If you experience a delay of more than 59 minutes, you are entitled to the following compensation:
- 25% of the ticket price for a delay ranging from 60 to 119 minutes;
- 50% of the ticket price for a delay of at least 120 minutes
You can request compensation after 24 hours from the date of travel and up to 12 months using this web form.
If you have experienced a delay with a regional Trenitalia train, you can request compensation by filling out an online form and sending it by mail to the Regional/Provincial Management in charge of the place of the travel destination. You will also need to include the original PDF ticket which was stamped and validated. You can fill out the application by clicking here.
If you would like to receive compensation for your Italo ticket, please check this website to find out what to do.
If you would like to receive compensation for your Thello ticket, you can fill out their compensation form here.
NS and NS International tickets
If your train has been delayed or cancelled, you may be eligible for compensation under the NS’s delay and compensation policy.
If you have taken a domestic train within the Netherlands, please visit this website to file your compensation claim and you can read about your rights as a passenger.
If you have taken an international train from the Netherlands ( this strictly excludes Thalys trains, please see above for the correct procedure), please visit the website of NS International to file your compensation claim and you will also be able to read about your rights as a passenger.
If you have experienced a delay or cancellation with Renfe, you may be eligible for compensation. In order to receive a refund or compensation, please contact us using our online form. Please include as much detail as possible about your journey, such as your booking reference, train number, and details about what happened.
If you have experienced a delay with a domestic SNCB train in Belgium, you may be eligible for compensation.
Please visit SNCB’s dedicated page for compensation and delays to file your claim and find out about your rights as a passenger.
If you have taken an international SNCF train from Belgium (this strictly excludes Thalys and Deutsche Bahn trains - see above for the correct procedure), please visit the website of NS International to file your compensation claim and you will also be able to read about your rights as a passenger.